Get Adobe Flash player

Smoke damage closes Racetrac --- UPDATED



The closed Racetrac on Hwy. 515 displays a 999 gas price to discourage anyone from pulling in to the location.

     Usual early-morning business was interrupted Saturday, June 9 at the RaceTrac on Hwy. 515 when a stand-alone sandwich cooler caught fire around 6 a.m.

     According to the Jasper Fire Department’s incident report, a customer told workers on duty that they could smell smoke. Unable to find the source of the smell, the workers and customers evacuated the gas station and called 911.


     The search for the source of the fire and smoke was narrowed down to the sandwich cooler after everyone evacuated the business. RaceTrac personnel were able to see the fire underneath the cooler through the window.

     After the small blaze was subdued, the fire department removed all items from the cooler and discovered that the fire had originated at the cooler’s electrical connection hub.

     The entire sales area of the RaceTrac suffered substantial smoke damage. All items in the retail area are being disposed of for health and safety reasons.

     In a phone interview, Sherri Scott, RaceTrac’s Director of Communications, said RaceTrac is trying to determine the best way to get the station up and running again.

     Scott said the company understands the importance of the gas station to the Jasper community.

Add comment

Security code