One employee was injured and the Zaxby’s Restaurant damaged by a fire that occurred Friday morning as employees were opening for the day.
Jasper Assistant Fire Chief Von Headrick said the fire started as they were lighting the fryers and involved kitchen grease. He said the employee lighting the deep fryer was blown across the room and suffered some first degree (least serious) burns.
The windows to the drive thru were open and the flames were sucked out causing damage to the glass around the drive thru of the restaurant near Highway 515.
Headrick said crews from Jasper, the county, and volunteer stations had no difficulty extinguishing the blaze. “We had it out within 15 minutes,” he said.
The fire crews wanted to thank nearby restaurants Taco Bell, Bojangles and Julee's for providing water and food.