The long in the works comprehenisve plan update has produced a first draft copy of the work, that was sent to those who had attended stakeholder meetings for the update of county plans.
The draft of the comprehensive plan compiled by the state is a starting point, said county planning director Richard Osborne. Osborne cautioned there are quite a few areas where it is important to remember this is still in rough draft form. He said there was some copy/paste by the state that will be fine-tuned on several points to reflect accurately the status quo of Pickens County.
Please review the earlier attached draft comprehensive plan which includes the 2013-17 list of accomplishments and 2018-22 community work programs for each jurisdiction. If you would like to review a hard copy, come see me in the county admin building at 1266 E. Church St or call me 706-253-8852 and I’ll be glad to print out a copy for you.
Please note that there will be meetings for input into the draft comprehensive plan on April 24 at 6:30 p.m. in the county admin building (Pickens room) and on April 30 at 6:30 p.m. in the county admin building (Commissioners room) at 1266 E. Church St, Jasper. The draft will also be reviewed and need to be recommended for approval by State Department of Community Affairs staff. The final plan will be approved by the elected officials of each jurisdiction on or before June 30 unless a time extension is necessary.
The State-required comprehensive planning process includes three components for Pickens County, Jasper, Nelson, and Talking Rock that must be completed within the next couple months:
- Comprehensive Plan (vision, community goals, future land use/development map, etc.)
- Service Delivery Strategy (existing list of services provided by each jurisdiction)
- Community Work Program (5-year project list for each jurisdiction)
The current timeframe for Pickens County is the following (local approval by each city may have slightly different timeframe):
- April 24 at 6:30 PM final stakeholders meeting in county admin building (Pickens room)
- April 30 at 6:30 PM public hearing to discuss joint comp plan in county admin bldg. (Commissioners room)
- May 3 at 10:00 AM discussion of comp plan during regularly scheduled BOC work session in county admin bldg. (Commissioners room)
- May 17 at 5:30 PM agenda item for possible vote during regularly scheduled BOC meeting in county admin bldg. (Commissioners room)
Comprehensive Plan meetings:
Please see below for upcoming Pickens County public meetings.
- April 24 at 6:30 PM final comprehensive plan stakeholders meeting in county admin building (Pickens room)
- April 30 at 6:30 PM public hearing to discuss comprehensive plan in county admin building (Commissioners room)
- May 3 at 10:00 AM Board of Commissioners work session to include discussion of comprehensive plan and service delivery strategy in county admin building (Commissioners room)
- May 17 at 5:30 PM Board of Commissioners regular meeting to include agenda item(s) for possible vote on the comprehensive plan and service delivery strategy in county admin bldg. (Commissioners room)