Get Adobe Flash player

DQ blaze investigation awaits state fire marshal


    The still standing structure of Jasper’s Dairy Queen, which caught fire last Tuesday. Portions of the structure have been boarded up as construction workers wait to see what will come next for the building.

     The state fire marshal is expected to make a second trip to the Dairy Queen site on East Church Street later this week to further investigate the cause of the blaze that destroyed the landmark restaurant dating from the late 1950s.

    The blaze, which began July 15, started before the restaurant opened and completely gutted the building Tuesday. Crews said many renovations over the years had added numerous roofs making it impossible to get to the source of the blaze when they arrived.
    Fire Chief Steve Roper said Monday afternoon there had been no ruling at all on the cause and none was expected until the state fire marshal returns. No cause or origin has been given at this point, he said. There has been no report issued at all, he said.
    On a first trip to the site, the state fire marshal couldn’t conduct a thorough investigation due to the heat of the still smoldering building.
    Roper said special equipment may be needed to allow them to safely enter the building with a mostly-destroyed roof still posing a hazard.
    Construction/renovation crews were on the scene this week and some of the windows have been boarded up, but no work has been done with the demolition as of Tuesday.
    The Jasper Police are investigating a felony theft by taking at the Dairy Queen of cash and computer equipment that occurred days before the fire.


Sharon Townsend
+1 #1 Sharon Townsend 2014-07-24 13:19
my mother and I loved eating at the Dairy Queen, we would always see people that we knew from church. The food was delicious and the employees would always know what we would want to eat.

I hope they can rebuild because my mother and I really do miss eating at the Dairy Queen.

Add comment

Security code